For every $100 you spend at a local indie business, $68 will stay in the community. When you spend that same $100 at a national chain, only $43 stays in your community.
Local businesses carry a wider array of unique products because they buy for their own market: the people in their community. They know you and know what you like and want.
You wouldn’t want your house to look like everyone else’s in the U.S. Why would you want your community to look that way? More diversity in your community enhances its appeal.
More Reasons to Shop Indie...
Embrace enthusiasm and expertise
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors, have a vested interest in knowing how to serve you, and they’re absolutely passionate about what they do. Take advantage of it.
Conserve tax dollars
- Buying local means less infrastructure and more money to beautify your community. Buying local instead of online ensures that sales taxes are reinvested where they belong: in your community.
Reduce environmental impact
- Buying from a local business conserves energy and resources: less fuel for transportation, less packaging, and products that you know are safe and well made, because your local retailers stand behind them.
- Besides the pleasure of knowing your local retailers, studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of chains.
Invest in entrepreneurship
- Creativity and entrepreneurship are what the American economy is founded upon. Nurturing local business ensures a strong community.
Create local jobs
- Local businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
Make your community a destination
- The more interesting and unique a community, the more it will attract new neighbors, visitors and guests. This benefits everyone.